Eric Bischoff Addresses WWE Departure on 83 Weeks

wwe, wcw, eric bischoff, smackdown, bruce prichard, fox

SmackDown’s former Executive Director Eric Bischoff was let go by WWE last week and now he’s revealed a few details about what went down.

Bischoff spoke about his release to Conrad Thompson in the final minutes of the most recent episode of their podcast “83 Weeks.”

“I was really grateful for the opportunity to work at WWE and it was an opportunity,” Eric explained. “It didn’t work out the way I wanted it to work out. It clearly didn’t work out the way Vince McMahon wanted it to work out, but that happens. I’m not taking any of it personally; professionally, I’m taking a hard look at it and thinking it through.”

Bischoff then praised WWE’s creative team and admitted that he didn’t expect to be in the job long-term. “I didn’t come here thinking I was gonna be in for WWE for five or ten years. I looked it as a relatively short term opportunity, meaning two to three years” he said. “I didn’t think it would be quite this short term but sometimes that happens.”

The former WCW boss also squashed rumors of a feud with Brice Prichard, the man who replaced him as Executive Director of Friday Night SmackDown on FOX.

“Bruce is one of my closest friends and is going to remain as one of my closest friends,” he said

As for the reason he was let go, Eric simply says WWE is a company with a very defined culture/process and he “didn’t necessarily fit into it.” 

“When I took this job, I knew what the odds were,” Bischoff added. “I’m not surprised. I’m disappointed – not gonna lie – I am disappointed, I would have liked to have met Vince McMahon’s expectations and I would’ve liked for it to have been a longer run than it was. I’d be completely dishonest if I didn’t admit that. But at the same time, I’m not completely surprised either.”

The full show can be heard below.